Some History of the Methodist Church and Calvary

The Methodist Church came from the Church of England through it’s founder, the Reverend John Wesley. This Anglican priest stated in September of 1739: “The doctrines we preach are the doctrines of the Church of England….”. The Reverend Wesley never intended to found a church. He claimed to be a man of one book, the Bible, and he remained an Anglican priest until his death.


The Southern Methodist Church, holding to a more literal interpretation of Scripture, grew from the Methodist Church on January 14, 1940. Calvary Southern Methodist Church was formed and had its first worship service on January 17, 1982. Our church came together to preach the Gospel without fear or compromise and to stand on the historic concepts of the Apostolic Traditions as written in the Holy Bible.


The following is the Preamble to the Constitution of Calvary Southern Methodist Church, as it was written in the early part of 1982:

As individual members of the Body of Christ, each called separately to the common task of the up-building of the church of our Lord Jesus, we do affirm and institute this document as the Constitution of our local church body. In recognition of the fallibility of fallen man and the incomprehensible infallibility of the Creator, Redeemer, and Presence who is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, we do set forth this constitution as our operational guide, and cling to God’s inspired Holy Bible as the final authority in every matter. The only work in all of creation that is worthy, is the glorification of God; to this end, with this as our only goal, we do set forth with our dreams, our hopes, and our efforts in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Advertisements